Who to Trust
To check out an invention submission or marketing company, go to www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/iip/complaints.htm, or run them through the Scam Buster Machine.
To check out a patent attorney or patent agent, do the following:
- Go to PTO website at http://patft1.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html.
- Enter attorney's or agent's name as Term-1 e.g., "Harter, Robert J."
- From a drop-down box in Field-1, select "Attorney or Agent".
- Hit search to get a list of patents handled by the subject attorney or agent.
- Clicking on one of the listed patents provides the inventor's name and address.
- Search the web for inventor's telephone number and ask the inventor what they think of their attorney or agent.